The Park Medical Practice Patient Complaints Information Leaflet

As a surgery we always strive to ensure the best level of patient care, however we acknowledge we may not always get it right first time. Therefore we operate a complaint procedure as part of an NHS complaints system, which meets national criteria. We view complaints as an opportunity to reflect on patient care, where appropriate apologise and learn from incidents to improve patient care. If you have a complaint or concern about the service you have received from the doctors or any of the personnel working in this practice, please let us know.

How To Complain

We hope that we can sort most problems out easily and quickly. Often at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If you wish to make a formal complaint, please do as soon as possible. This will enable us to establish what happened more easily. If doing that is not possible you complaint should be submitted within 12 months of the incident that caused the problem; or within 12 months of discovering that you have a problem. You should address your complaint in writing to the practice Manager; please try and avoid e-mailing the surgery as this may be overlooked. The Practice Manger will make sure that we deal with your concerns promptly and in the correct way. You should be as specific and concise as possible.

Complaining On Behalf Of Some Else

The practice team keep strictly to the rules of medical confidentiality. If you are not the patient, but are complaining on their behalf, you must have their permission to do so. An authority signed by the person concerned will be needed, unless they are incapable (because of illness or infirmity) of the providing this.

What We Will Do

If your initial complaint was made verbally but the practice was unable to resolve it within 24 hours, the matter will be dealt with formally.

For all formal complaints the practice will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days and aim to have it fully investigated within 20 working days of the date it was received. If we expect it to take longer we will explain the reason for the delay and tell you when we expect to finish. A member of the practice team may contact you to discuss the complaint or clarify any points.

When we look into your complaint, we will investigate the circumstances; make it possible for you to discuss the problem with those concerned; make sure you receive an apology if this is appropriate, and take steps to make sure any problems does not arise again. You will receive a final letter setting out the result of any practice investigations.

We hope that, if you have a problem you will use our practice complaints procedure. We believed that this will give us a chance to put right whatever has gone wrong and an opportunity to improve our practice. If you do not wish to use our complaints procedure you can complain via NHS England who can be contacted at the following address.

NHS England
PO Box 16738
B97 9PT
Telephone: 0300 311 2233 (Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, excluding English Bank Holidays)

Taking Your Complaint Further

If you fell after our investigation and conclusion, that you are not happy with the outcome you are entitled to contact the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman who will consider your complaint further.
They can be contacted at;
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Miller Tower
30 Millbank
Telephone: 0345 015 4033

Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS)
The PALS is based at Midlands and Lancashire CSU and can provide confidential advice and support helping you sort out any concerns you have about the care provided. The Patient Advise and Liaison Services, they can be contacted by telephone or by writing to
Customer Care Team
Lancashire Commissioning Support Unit
Jubilee House
Lancashire Enterprise Business Park
Centurion Way
PR26 6TR
Freephone: 0800 032 24 24

ICAS stands for the independent Complaints Advocacy Service. It is a free and confidential service that is independent of the NHS and tailored to individual patient need. ICAS cab give you advice om how to make a complaint, support you and help you in drafting letters, and attend meetings with you.
ICAS can be contracted at: 0300 456 8350 (North West Area)
Preston Advocacy Services
The advocacy services can also provide help and support to patients who wish to complain.
Preston Business Centre
Watling Street Road
Telephone: 01772 524469